By Jenna Poppell
“Grad Bash” is a road trip that seniors take to Orlando for thrill, amusement, and relaxation as they explore the parks of Universal Studios. Senior Class Sponsor and Director of Operations Jeff Malloy has worked tremendously hard to give seniors a normal final year. It has been a tradition for Universal to open up its parks to the seniors attending Florida high schools for a day of fun. Both this year and last year, however, the park canceled Grad Bash due to COVID-19. Instead, they have offered local schools a chance to go on selected dates to limit the amount of exposure. Oak Hall chose May 19 as the day for class fun. The seniors will depart from school at 7 a.m. and arrive at 9 a.m., and will leave the parks around 8 p.m. The trip will be complimented by a light breakfast and goodie bag provided by the Oak Hall Alumni Association.
Universal has set strict guidelines related to COVID-19 in order to ensure our safety:
- Face Coverings will be required throughout the day
- Temperature checks are required upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer required prior to boarding ride vehicles
- Social distancing and 6 feet distance from your party and others
- Stand on floor marking while in line
In addition, Universal Studios has a strict dress code policy for this event:
- No clothing bearing the name of Oak Hall School, any collegiate or professional team, or zip and area codes may be worn.
- No backpacks or large purses (only the size of a hand purse)
- Tank tops, undershirts, sleeveless tops (less than 3 inches in the straps)
- Nylon basketball shorts
- Clothing with excessive holes or shredding
- Clothing that exposes excessive portions of skin that may be viewed as inappropriate
While slightly modified from years previous, I think we are all happy for the opportunity to spend time with our class and participate in such a popular event. “I am very excited to continue this tradition albeit with some COVID alterations,” Malloy said.